Changes between Version 2 and Version 3 of WeeklyMinutes20100408


Ignore:
Timestamp:
Apr 8, 2010, 4:33:53 PM (8 years ago)
Author:
shane
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • WeeklyMinutes20100408

    v2 v3  
    1313Evan
    1414Shawn
     15Jeremy
    1516}}}
    1617
    17 Likun
    18 Jeremy
    19 
    20 
    2118= AP from Previous Weeks =
    2219
    2320  * Jeremy to investigate logging bot for Jabber room (taken over from Shane)
     21
     22Jeremy: Not completed. Try to get something going today and tomorrow.
     23
     24Shane: We'll use the bind10.isc.org site to record this somehow.
     25
     26Jeremy: Yes, on a web page linked from there.
     27
    2428  * Michael to write blog entry about SQLite3
    2529
     30Michael: In progress.
     31
    2632= Y1 post-mortem session planning (from last week) =
    2733
     34Shane: Suggest sending out questionnaire to team, and then we can discuss it at face-to-face meeting. Any other suggestions?
     35
     36Larissa: Like survey idea. Structure I have always done is "what went well", "improvables", and then "change policies" after than.
     37
    2838= Beijing BIND 10 team meeting =
    2939
    3040   * 2010-04-26 to 2010-04-30 at CNNIC office in Beijing
     41
     42Shane: If you cannot attend the whole time, let me know and I will adjust schedule when you are not there.
     43
     44Jinmei: Will we have a full-day meeting on the 30th? If we will end in the morning some may leave on that day.
     45
     46Shane: Problem is that it will be more like the 1st face-to-face meeting. This is going to be a very full meeting, with many things to discuss.
     47
     48Michael: Flying on the 24th (arriving the 25th), leaving on May 3rd.
     49
     50Shane: May 1 is a big holiday in many countries in Europe. In Beijing too?
     51
     52Feng: May 1 is start of a big 3 day holiday, but until April 30 is okay. If you have time, send me an e-mail and we'll go someplace in Beijing.
     53
    3154   * Visa/travel status
     55
     56Shane: Everything in progress.
     57
     58Feng: Already booked hotel. Maybe 10 minutes walk to CNNIC. If you have your arrival fixed, please send e-mail and I can meet up at airport.
     59
    3260   * Agenda input
    3361
     62Shane: If you have input for agenda, please e-mail me or send mail to bind10-dev@lists.isc.org and I'll make sure it gets included. Plan is draft agenda before next week's conference call.
     63
    3464= Y2r01 status =
     65
    3566   * xfrin/xfrout status
     67
     68Jeremy: xfrin worked for me. Like Jelte mentioned, the dependencies are overkill. Extremely hard to set up and get going. Boost Python not provided on any operating system.
     69
     70Jelte: Provided on Ubuntu, but only for Python 2 not for Python 3. I saw today someone added the error message to the xfr daemons.
     71
     72----
     73
     74Jinmei: I have a more fundamental question about dependencies. I often found that Python 3 is not so common in many environments. You often have to do manual installation for Python 3. So you may have Python 3.1 as a package, but you may need to manually install SQLite loadable module for Python 3, and it may not be so trivial. I wonder why we need Python 3 in the first place. If we can use 2.x it would be easier for other people.
     75
     76Michael: This is the same question I asked when we started.
     77
     78Jelte: I think the bigger reason is that by the time that our finished product is there that we guessed that Python 3 was very common.
     79
     80Evan: That is more-or-less what I recall.
     81
     82Shane: Can we run Python 2 code in Python 3?
     83
     84Jinmei: I don't think we can make a decision today. Maybe something for the face-to-face agenda?
     85
     86Michael: I don't think we can make a decision without someone trying it..
     87
     88Shane: Jinmei would you be willing to try running some of our stuff with Python 2?
     89
     90Jinmei: Wouldn't be my top priority...
     91
     92Shane: Evan?
     93
     94Evan: Sure why not?
     95
     96Michael: Can we make a "utilities" tarball?
     97
     98Shane: So, a tarball with all the packages you need? Maybe we can just make a shell script with "./configure && make && make install" for this stuff.
     99
     100Michael: Goal is for people to run our stuff, not to run Python 2.6. Long term investment is better to make dependencies easier.
     101
     102Shane: Actually, you're right. Evan, don't look at this.
     103
     104Jeremy: I'll write a shell script that installs the components needed under its own directory.
     105
     106----
     107
     108Jeremy: The way configure is right now, you get features or not depending on what we have on the system.
     109
     110Jinmei: Like what?
     111
     112Jeremy: Like boost.python being defined.
     113
     114Jelte: Resulting in xfrin/xfrout being defined but not doing something.
     115
     116Jinmei: I still expect we will have that kind of optional features. Like we may provide a non-DNSSEC version of something.
     117
     118Jeremy: Another example was the asio TCP code.
     119
     120Shane: Some configure scripts show what the probing did at the end.
     121
     122Jelte: Apache does that.
     123
     124Jeremy: We can do that.
     125
     126----
     127
     128'''Phone Chaos'''
     129
     130Shane: Do we currently listen for notifies?
     131
     132Jinmei: No.
     133
     134Shane: No worries. Maybe something we want to schedule for 2nd release of this year.
     135
     136Jinmei: Actually I am wondering when and how we can implement this stuff.
     137
     138----
     139
     140Shane: Since we just started started looking at xfrin, haven't looked at xfrout yet.
     141
     142Jinmei: I tried it and it simply worked. I even sent some patches for xfrout code. Simply responds to incoming xfrout requests.
     143
    36144   * Ticket review
     145
     146Shane: Jinmei went through tickets?
     147
     148Jinmei: I went through tickets assigned to me.
     149
     150Shane: I'll go through tickets like before last review and "ping" people.
     151
     152Jeremy: Can everyone subscribe to bind10-tickets list please?
     153
     154Shane: Are you the list owner for that? Can you subscribe people?
     155
     156Jeremy: Okay.
     157
     158Jinmei: I don't remember the conclusion of the discussion, but I am now receiving 2 copies of every message. I am wondering whether I need to unsubscribe somewhere.
     159
     160Jeremy: You are only getting duplicates when you are the recipient of the ticket.
     161
     162Jinmei: Can we receive a ticket when ticket is assigned to us?
     163
     164Shane: Did you get an e-mail when I assigned a ticket to you today?
     165
     166Jinmei: If it's already done then it's fine.
     167
     168Shane: I guess we can experiment and see what happens.
     169
     170Jeremy: Should e-mail 4 groups: reporter, owner, generic list, and ... someone else.
     171
     172Jinmei: Difficult to differentiate information if everyone is subscribed to the list. People type 'd' if messages are too noisy. On Rt it is relatively easy to differentiate these things. If a ticket is assigned to me, a specific message indicating that is delivered to me. I'm afraid we may tend to miss information like the assignment change.
     173
     174Jeremy: I'll see if there is an option for that.
     175
     176Jelte: Is this for new tickets or every ticket?
     177
     178Jeremy: Both.
     179
     180----
     181
     182Jeremy: For tickets, were we going to fix categories and milestones?
     183
     184Jinmei: I agree, because right now that is not very helpful.
     185
     186Jeremy: I can fix those if someone can mail a proposal to the mailing list to what they should be.
     187
     188'''AP''' Shane will mail proposal about new categories and milestones to list.
     189
     190Larissa: If we adjust the component and milestone categories in there it will all get better.
     191
    37192   * Test coverage review
     193
     194Shane: Per last week, no specific goals other than including Python tests.
     195
     196Michael: Rather than BIND 9 or BIND 10 specific tests, have a DNS conformance test. It would be awesome if we could have a test between different versions of servers. My goal is to reduce the threshold necessary to write tests.
     197
     198Jinmei: Do you know the conformance test tool provided by the TAHI project?
     199
     200Michael: Yes a bit.
     201
     202Jelte: I've talked to one of the people on that years ago, when they were just starting out.
     203
     204Shane: That's not an IPv6 thing?
     205
     206Jinmei: Started from IPv6 conformance test. I guess they just applied for a government grant for next-generation project. Target was DNS.
     207
     208Michael: Last update was in test coverage & specification was August 2007.
     209
     210Michael: Advantage in writing our own in that regression tests are easy. I'll take a look at it and see.
     211
     212Shane: Maybe we can take an approach like we did with static analysis tools and run multiple suites.
     213
     214Michael: Might not be something packaged with release. Never complete! Even if it only ran one test it would be useful to include at some point. There's no point in waiting until it is "done" before you start releasing it.
     215
     216Jeremy: Would this tool actually start the server? Or would it do queries and compare results?
     217
     218Michael: Tool I have now starts & stops servers, creates keys and specifies what keys, tools are independent so easy to separate.
     219
     220'''AP''' Michael to write mail with motivation & description of DNS conformance test.
     221
    38222   * Python wrapper research (Jelte)
    39223
     224Jelte: Figured out Francis' code, and read documentation on how to manually write a library. Very possible with this, and will provide some features that Boost Python does not have (although could not check because couldn't get Boost Python running). For example overload the __str__() function to invoke toText() function. It will be lots & lots of more work. Far from trivial, and we have to be really, really careful. Easy to create segfaults and memory issues, and uncaught exceptions can cause Python to exit.
     225
     226Jelte: Re-did the work Francis did so I would have something to compare it to. Working on adding a 2nd .h file, and ran into a problem making a separate module for each header file we have, but that would mean a lot of DLL. Non-trivial to make multiple source files into one big module, since most things are added in the main function. Will look at this more tomorrow. (One function initializes the module and it needs access to all the static objects that are created - like constants and class descriptions - so adding those in multiple source files where one needs the other was non-trivial.)
     227
     228Jelte: I googled a bit, and saw a lot of people asking how to do this right, but not a lot of answers. Are the other projects that do this?
     229
     230Shane: Surely the SQL layer and things like that...
     231
     232Jinmei: This should be a nice blog entry!
     233
     234'''AP''' Jelte to write blog entry about Python wrapper.
     235
    40236= AOB =
     237
     238Jinmei: Next snapshot release... is it next week?
     239
     240Shane: Deadline is the 19th?
     241
     242Jeremy: Yes, and ship on the 21st.
     243
     244Jinmei: Not sure on the status of that goal, which features it will have & so on.
     245
     246----
     247
     248Jinmei: A bit confused about the policy of review and use of trunk. Right now it's a mixture of new features and reviewed code. People tend to add more & more stuff while there are many fragments of unreviewed code. I don't know how we can use the trunk to be consistent with our reviewed policies.
     249
     250Jeremy: I can talk about this now...?
     251
     252Shane: A mail may be best.
     253
     254'''AP''' Jeremy to send mail about this.
     255
     256----
     257
     258Hankins: Just a reminder about DHCP.
     259
     260Shane: We are going to discuss DHCP immediately after. Anyone who wants to can stay but does not have to.
     261
     262----
     263
     264Jeremy: Still making the decision on the "changes" format. I did receive some feedback on the file. But I don't know if we need to make the final decision, but on the release on the 21st we'll include some sort of release notes or change history. Maybe something I do myself manually, but in the long term it would be good if everyone did their own "changes" entries.
     265
     266Shane: This is something we'd need to add into some sort of process like the review process or something like that, otherwise we'll forget.
     267
     268----
     269
     270Jeremy: Release engineering for trunk and reviewed branch, but I'll talk about that via e-mail.