Changes between Version 1 and Version 2 of WeeklyMinutes20091217


Ignore:
Timestamp:
Dec 17, 2009, 6:35:14 PM (8 years ago)
Author:
shane
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • WeeklyMinutes20091217

    v1 v2  
    1 WARNING: badly formatted version, just for checkpointing
    2 
    3 
    41Notes from the BIND 10 call.
    52
    6 *Agenda*
     3= Attendees =
     4{{{
     5Jeremy
     6Feng
     7Shane
     8Jelte
     9Fujiwara
     10Larissa
     11Kambe
     12Jinmei
     13Michael
     14Hankins
     15}}}
     16
     17= Agenda =
    718
    819      * Roll call
     
    2738      * AOB
    2839
    29 
    30 *Attendees*
    31 {{{
    32 Jeremy
    33 Feng
    34 Shane
    35 Jelte
    36 Fujiwara
    37 Larissa
    38 Kambe
    39 Jinmei
    40 Michael
    41 Hankins
    42 }}}
    43 
    44 *Additional topics*
     40= Additional topics =
    4541
    4642    * Database experiments
    4743    * Testable code
    4844
    49 *AP*
    50     1) Not done
    51     2) Done
    52     3) Not done
    53     4) Not done
    54 
    55 *Status checkpointing*
    56 
    57 
    58 DNS Message API: not much since last week. Name class implementation almost complete. Feedback from Francis based on work on Python bindings. Probably making some additional changes to base design, going to finish within a couple days and ask for official review and merge to head branch.
     45= Action Points =
     46See above.
     47  1. Not done
     48  1. Done
     49  1. Not done
     50  1. Not done
     51
     52= Status checkpointing =
     53
     54== DNS Message API ==
     55Jinmei: not much since last week. Name class implementation almost complete. Feedback from Francis based on work on Python bindings. Probably making some additional changes to base design, going to finish within a couple days and ask for official review and merge to head branch.
     56
     57----
    5958
    6059Michael: what is the test coverage like?
     60
    6161Jinmei: number of test cases?
     62
    6263Michael: edge cases covered, things like that?
     64
    6365Jinmei: tried to cover that, for example using long names, invalid wire format names, and so on. This process cannot be perfect, but I did try to cover some edge cases.
     66
    6467Michael: code coverage test tool would really help in writing tests.
     68
    6569Shane: anyone know any tools?
     70
    6671Michael: all static these days...
     72
    6773Larissa: what about Coverity? maybe some other tools?
     74
    6875Jelte: gcc also has test coverage...
    69 AP: Jeremy to look into this
    70 
    71 Python DNS Message API:
     76
     77'''AP''': Jeremy to look into this
     78
     79== Python DNS Message API ==
    7280Shane: Francis did some work.
     81
    7382Jinmei: had a quick look at this. Don't know whether he used any framework to connect C++ and Python. Seems trivial wrapper for C++.
     83
    7484Shane: would prefer to see DNS Name message first.
     85
    7586Jinmei: yes, affects implementation, but doing Python binding in parallel may help us think about it, which we need to do anyway
    76 AP: Shane to give commit access to Francis
    77 
    78 msgq:
    79 Michael: still done
     87
     88'''AP''': Shane to give commit access to Francis
     89
     90== msgq ==
     91Michael: still done :)
     92
    8093Shane: waiting on review?
     94
    8195Jelte: yes, I don't know the review process yet
     96
    8297Jinmei: documentation and testing?
     98
    8399Michael: not much documentation... but no torture tests or anything like that
     100
    84101Jelte: once I get to porting to new msgq might run into things
    85102
    86 Configuration:
     103== Configuration ==
    87104Jelte: seen a lot of airports in the last few days... only home for 2 hours
    88105
    89 bind-control:
     106== bind-control ==
    90107Likun: Got review from Michael, seems that current implementation has some problems. Not easy to map command to URL properly, more work needed on this.
     108
    91109Michael: Anything working is good, we can change it! Running code is better than a perfect solution.
     110
    92111Feng: We'll try to put command in GET or POST so we have some code that can run.
     112
    93113Michael: When you issue commands over the API, you are not using a RESTful interface. You're changing state! So go with what you have and we can change it later.
     114
    94115Shane: You mean stick with XML-RPC?
     116
    95117Michael: No, it was re-written using REST.
     118
    96119Feng: REST should be resource oriented, using standard method like POST/GET to modify resource. If we want to evoke some command, then...
    97120
     121
    98122Shane: how do you, for example, say "send notifies"
     123
    99124Michael: probably add a state to say "you need to send notifies"
    100125
     126
    101127Jelte: on configuration, I was also heading this way... if you go this way then I can fit it in with the changes I have in mind.
     128
    102129Michael: also change later... use working stuff now
    103130
    104 Stats:
     131== Stats ==
    105132Kambe: don't have much progress, but researching Net::SNMP, because could not find a Python SNMP implementation. Now think I need to continue to research the problem now.
    106133
    107134Jinmei: Google shows lots of libraries...
     135
    108136Michael: these tend to be client side... we may need to work with UNC SNMP thing
    109137
    110 BoB:
     138== BoB ==
    111139Shane: no changes
    112 AP: Shane to check in TODO
    113 
    114 
     140
     141'''AP''': Shane to check in TODO
     142
     143
     144= BIND 10 DHCP meeting =
    115145[ Shane talks about BIND 10 DHCP ]
    116146
    117 1st deliverable:
     147= 1st deliverable =
    118148Jinmei: first deliverable authoritative server implementation?
     149
    119150Shane: AS112, but not totally separate!
    120151
    121 
    122 Face-to-face meeting
     152= Face-to-face meeting =
    123153Last week of January... will do it on-list
     154
    124155Question about time for visas.
     156
    125157May also do one after IETF - week before due date!
    126158
    127159
    128 Database experiments:
     160= Database experiments =
    129161Michael: We assumed SQL is slow, but SQLite3 seems pretty fast. Want to decide what to use for database layer format thing.
     162
    130163Shane: We should test an in-memory version...
     164
    131165Jinmei: we need a customized in-memory database for performance
     166
    132167Michael: eventually...
     168
    133169Shane: So we may be able to save a lot of work for the Y1 deliverable by not shipping an in-memory database?
     170
    134171Michael: Yes.
    135172
    136 Michael: Nex t step to figure out what format would look like.
    137 
    138 
    139 Testable code:
     173
     174Michael: Next step to figure out what format would look like.
     175
     176
     177
     178= Testable code =
    140179Michael: smaller functions are more testable. Some parts may not be reachable, but we need unit and system tests.
     180
    141181Michael: I have been converted to test-driven development! Give it a try.
    142182
    143 AOB:
     183
     184= AOB =
    144185Jeremy: working on wiki page for logging concepts
    145186
     187----
     188
    146189Jeremy: for AS112 deliverable, confused on knowing which components we are actually using since I see development in different branches. Maybe we need a file in Subversion or a Wiki page talking about what the branches are.
     190
    147191Michael: make a "review" directory like experimental...?
     192
    148193Jinmei: when we have a certain amount of progress, will concentrate on main trunk
    149194Shane: for now, just send mail to list about this, won't be a long-term problem
    150195
     196----
    151197
    152198Jinmei: possible extension to automake... Francis asked whether we can identify the Python version at configuration time. I defer the question... put to Trac ticket system.
     199
    153200Shane: I think this is a good use for Trac.
    154201
     202----
     203
    155204Jinmei: about schedule. Some of us will have vacation in 2nd half of this month, possibly beginning of next month. Should we worry about that?
     205
    156206Shane: Can everyone e-mail me their vacation plans?
    157207
    158208Jinmei: Is the 24th a problem?
    159 [ many people ]
     209
     210[ many people say "yes" ]
     211
    160212Jelte: Move to Wednesday?
    161 AP: Shane to mail move to list to confirm.
     213
     214'''AP''': Shane to mail move to list to confirm.
     215
    162216Michael: also the call after?
     217
    163218Shane: probably move to Wednesday also...
    164219
     220----
     221
     222Farewells.