wiki:WeeklyMinutes20091217

Notes from the BIND 10 call.

Attendees

Jeremy
Feng
Shane
Jelte
Fujiwara
Larissa
Kambe
Jinmei
Michael
Hankins

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • AP from 2 weeks ago:
    • Shane to write ISC review process and put it on the Wiki
    • Michael to mail link with PDF for the DLV web site, which uses REST-ful interface. Wikipedia is probably best to start with.
    • Jeremy to add page to Wiki about stats.
    • Shane to try to make a graph of timeline
  • Status checkpointing:
    • DNS message API
    • Python DNS message API
    • msgq
    • Configuration
    • bind-control
    • Stats
    • BoB
  • BIND 10 DHCP status report
  • First public deliverable
  • Next face-to-face meeting
  • AOB

Additional topics

  • Database experiments
  • Testable code

Action Points

See above.

  1. Not done
  2. Done
  3. Not done
  4. Not done

Status checkpointing

DNS Message API

Jinmei: not much since last week. Name class implementation almost complete. Feedback from Francis based on work on Python bindings. Probably making some additional changes to base design, going to finish within a couple days and ask for official review and merge to head branch.


Michael: what is the test coverage like?

Jinmei: number of test cases?

Michael: edge cases covered, things like that?

Jinmei: tried to cover that, for example using long names, invalid wire format names, and so on. This process cannot be perfect, but I did try to cover some edge cases.

Michael: code coverage test tool would really help in writing tests.

Shane: anyone know any tools?

Michael: all static these days...

Larissa: what about Coverity? maybe some other tools?

Jelte: gcc also has test coverage...

AP: Jeremy to look into this

Python DNS Message API

Shane: Francis did some work.

Jinmei: had a quick look at this. Don't know whether he used any framework to connect C++ and Python. Seems trivial wrapper for C++.

Shane: would prefer to see DNS Name message first.

Jinmei: yes, affects implementation, but doing Python binding in parallel may help us think about it, which we need to do anyway

AP: Shane to give commit access to Francis

msgq

Michael: still done :)

Shane: waiting on review?

Jelte: yes, I don't know the review process yet

Jinmei: documentation and testing?

Michael: not much documentation... but no torture tests or anything like that

Jelte: once I get to porting to new msgq might run into things

Configuration

Jelte: seen a lot of airports in the last few days... only home for 2 hours

bind-control

Likun: Got review from Michael, seems that current implementation has some problems. Not easy to map command to URL properly, more work needed on this.

Michael: Anything working is good, we can change it! Running code is better than a perfect solution.

Feng: We'll try to put command in GET or POST so we have some code that can run.

Michael: When you issue commands over the API, you are not using a RESTful interface. You're changing state! So go with what you have and we can change it later.

Shane: You mean stick with XML-RPC?

Michael: No, it was re-written using REST.

Feng: REST should be resource oriented, using standard method like POST/GET to modify resource. If we want to evoke some command, then...

Shane: how do you, for example, say "send notifies"

Michael: probably add a state to say "you need to send notifies"

Jelte: on configuration, I was also heading this way... if you go this way then I can fit it in with the changes I have in mind.

Michael: also change later... use working stuff now

Stats

Kambe: don't have much progress, but researching Net::SNMP, because could not find a Python SNMP implementation. Now think I need to continue to research the problem now.

Jinmei: Google shows lots of libraries...

Michael: these tend to be client side... we may need to work with UNC SNMP thing

BoB

Shane: no changes

AP: Shane to check in TODO

BIND 10 DHCP meeting

[ Shane talks about BIND 10 DHCP ]

1st deliverable

Jinmei: first deliverable authoritative server implementation?

Shane: AS112, but not totally separate!

Face-to-face meeting

Last week of January... will do it on-list

Question about time for visas.

May also do one after IETF - week before due date!

Database experiments

Michael: We assumed SQL is slow, but SQLite3 seems pretty fast. Want to decide what to use for database layer format thing.

Shane: We should test an in-memory version...

Jinmei: we need a customized in-memory database for performance

Michael: eventually...

Shane: So we may be able to save a lot of work for the Y1 deliverable by not shipping an in-memory database?

Michael: Yes.

Michael: Next step to figure out what format would look like.

Testable code

Michael: smaller functions are more testable. Some parts may not be reachable, but we need unit and system tests.

Michael: I have been converted to test-driven development! Give it a try.

AOB

Jeremy: working on wiki page for logging concepts


Jeremy: for AS112 deliverable, confused on knowing which components we are actually using since I see development in different branches. Maybe we need a file in Subversion or a Wiki page talking about what the branches are.

Michael: make a "review" directory like experimental...?

Jinmei: when we have a certain amount of progress, will concentrate on main trunk Shane: for now, just send mail to list about this, won't be a long-term problem


Jinmei: possible extension to automake... Francis asked whether we can identify the Python version at configuration time. I defer the question... put to Trac ticket system.

Shane: I think this is a good use for Trac.


Jinmei: about schedule. Some of us will have vacation in 2nd half of this month, possibly beginning of next month. Should we worry about that?

Shane: Can everyone e-mail me their vacation plans?

Jinmei: Is the 24th a problem?

[ many people say "yes" ]

Jelte: Move to Wednesday?

AP: Shane to mail move to list to confirm.

Michael: also the call after?

Shane: probably move to Wednesday also...


Farewells.

Last modified 8 years ago Last modified on Dec 17, 2009, 6:35:14 PM