wiki:SprintPlanning20131001

BIND 10 DNS Sprint Planning for sprint ending 2013-10-01

Date: 2013-09-17
Time: 1430 UTC

Attendees
---------

	* Jeremy
	* Kean
	* Aharen
	* Michal
	* Mukund
	* Fujiwara
	* Kambe


Past sprint summary (5 minutes)
-------------------------------

Points allocated for past sprint:        17
Number of tickets closed:                 4
Estimated count of closed:               12
Number of tickets left new:               4
Estimated count of new:                   6 + 1 unestimatable
Number of tickets assigned/in review:    22!
Estimated count of active:               79!
Current total open defects: 449
(last sprint: 443)


Past sprint review (10 minutes)
-------------------------------

https://bind10.isc.org/query?group=status&milestone=Sprint-20130917


Past sprint goals (5 minutes)
-----------------------------

	* Cleanup of small tickets and defects, reviews
	* Shared memory work


Estimation and tickets discussion (10 minutes)
----------------------------------------------

Wide estimates for:

* #3161 (Fix clang-analyzer failures)

This has wide estimates, but I suppose it's due to the number of cases
that require fixing and not anything else. Both estimates are one after
another in the fibonacci series.

Unestimated tickets:

* #3165 (Running "make check" without first running "make" on OS-X fails
  in datasrc_test.py)

This ticket has only one estimate. The second developer has asked for it
to be marked WONTFIX as it's not possible to do the inter-directory
dependencies that we have in our build using automake.

vorner: I don't think it's possible to fix this. automake is broken in this regard, and if we attempt to fix it, we'll have to introduce a huge amount of workaround and it may cause more problems than it may solve.


Goals (15 minutes)
------------------

	* Clean up review queue
	* Shared memory work


Time off and available points (5 minutes)
-----------------------------------------

Holidays?
Mukund: Sep 20 (PTO)
Michal: off for 1 week this sprint. Will be spending rest of time on reviews I have.

On-call this sprint?

Current avg. points/day from Burndown page: 1.4
Available points for this sprint: 1.4 * 10 = 14

Let's try 10 points.
Revised to 10 points.


Selected tickets (30 minutes)
-----------------------------

>>>   LIST OF TICKETS FOR NEXT SPRINT      <<<

Previous sprint's tickets (5 minutes):
id      summary                                                                        type         component                   estimatedhours
3003   datasrc_config_plugin.py crashes due to uncaught exception without  datasrc.s  defect       configuration               Unestimatable
3122  Simplified datasrc info                                                       task         Unclassified                2
3123   Select wrapper & mutex around  ModuleCCSession                                 task         shmem  manager               2
3127  Make auth response directly to segment_update command                         task         b10-auth                    2

(sub-total: 6; cumulative-total: 6)

Defects (10 minutes):
(sub-total: ??; cumulative-total: ??)

Goal tickets (10 minutes):
(sub-total: ??; cumulative-total: ??)

Others (5 minutes):
2274  Implement counters into Xfrin (2/3)                                           enhancement  xfrin          5
2300  Implement counters into Xfrin (3/3)                                           enhancement  xfrin          5
(sub-total: 4 (reviews only); cumulative-total: 10)

>>> END LIST OF TICKETS FOR NEXT SPRINT    <<<


Pool of tickets
---------------

Previous sprint's tickets still left new:

NOTE: #3003 will be fixed automatically when #3095 is resolved.

Goal tickets:

id                 summary                                                                               type  component                   estimatedhours
2830  meta: tickets for shared memory data source                                   task  Unclassified                meta
2860  optimize initial load: update memmgr                                          task  shmem manager               4
2863  "handle ""ent_info_update"" message in b10-auth"                          task  b10-auth                    4
2864  xfrin and ddns update                                                         task  xfrin                       3 or 5?
2865  Lettuce tests with memmgr                                                     task  tests                       6
2867  Other cleanups for shared memory support                                      task  Unclassified                11
2912  make in-memory zone data loader a class                                       task  data source                 4
2913  update CacheConfig and ZoneWriter using class version of ZoneDataLoader       task  data source                 5
2914  extend ZoneDataLoader so it can use a journal reader                          task  data source                 5
2915  update CacheConfig to support diff mode                                       task  data source                 5
2918  support config generation ID                                                  task  configuration               5
2919  handle full data source reconfig in memmgr                                    task  shmem manager               6
2920         handle full data source reconfig with shmem support in         b10-auth              task  b10-auth                    not estimatable
2921  update ConfigurableClientList to support generation ID                        task  data source                 3
2932  "Receiving notifications, C++ part"                                           task  Inter-module communication  5
3002  extend datasrc::(Configurable)ClientList::find to return data source name     task  data source                 3
3013         "possibly avoid loading ""local"" segments to         memmgr"                        task  shmem manager                      Unestimatable
3017  add isDirty() to ZoneTableSegment                                             task  data source                 5
3018  extend ConfigurableClientList::getStatus() to indicate if zone table segment  task  data source                 4

Next-Sprint-Proposed:

id    summary                                                                       type         component      estimatedhours
2274  Implement counters into Xfrin (2/3)                                           enhancement  xfrin          5
2300  Implement counters into Xfrin (3/3)                                           enhancement  xfrin          5
2706  describe how to run scan-build (clang static analyzer)                        task         documentation  2
2798  Add a log message that statistics is updated                                  enhancement  statistics     1
2819  "configuration file path relative to a BIND 10 ""home directory"""            enhancement  bind-ctl       10
2828  include examples in releases                                                  task         build system   2
2840  implement a mitigation function against DNS amplifications attacks            enhancement  b10-auth       8
2876  Consolidate the resolver multi-core research                                  task         resolver       5
2961  Updating the python version can break BIND 10                                 enhancement  Boss of BIND   3
2965  "xfrout should use general datasource configuration, not Auth/database_file"  defect       xfrout         5
3042  """Init Shutdown"" resulted in error messages in BIND10 logfile"              defect       cmd-ctl        3
3055  Add Makefile target to create PDF manual for BIND 10                          defect       documentation  2
3093  'execute file' fails with multiple option-data                                defect       bind-ctl       5
3094  AssertionError: Statistics item .Xfrout.zones.IN._SERVER_.xfrrej has unexpec  defect       statistics     4
3114  Too large number crashes BIND 10 and stops it from being restarted            defect       cmd-ctl        3
3115  Migrate loadzone to notification                                              task         Unclassified   5
3134  Investigate removing external visibility of asio headers                      task         Unclassified   3
3161  Fix clang-analyzer failures                                                   defect       Unclassified   11
3166  SunStudio warnings to check when compiling the BIND 10 tree                   defect       Unclassified   0

New Tasks:

id    summary                                                                       type         component      estimatedhours
3124  Move most work to the work thread                                             task         shmem manager  5
3125  Rip out the notifications from work thread                                    enhancement  shmem manager  1
3126  Keep just one snapshot of config                                              task         shmem manager  1
3128  Send updates synchronously                                                    task         shmem manager  2
3129  "On update, send info about all the segments"                                 task         shmem manager  3
3130  Update auth to handle complete update in one message                          task         b10-auth       2
3131  Check the version on update and config update                                 task         b10-auth       2
3132  Delete the old datasource info                                                task         shmem manager  1
3133  Handle config updates in the manager                                          task         shmem manager  2
3141  auto-detect if bindctl running on a terminal - command line switch for batch  enhancement  cmd-ctl        3
3159  Shared memory support not working on Solaris                                  defect       shmem manager  4
3162  subdir-objects automake option has not been enabled                           defect       build system   2
3165  "Running ""make check"" without first running ""make"" on OS-X fails in data  defect       build system   5


A.O.B. (10 minutes)
-------------------

Need to have estimate date when major code feature will be ready to ship an alpha release. (Last release of any kind was first week of June of features from April.)

Jeremy: We are working on datasrc work. Do we have any idea when this work will be finished?
Mukund: we'll talk about this in a different meeting.

ACTION: Kean will spend 1 hour investigating parallel build problems and create a ticket for it.
ACTION: Assign #3003 to Michal.

Stephen: Michal, is there any place that you worked on that is missing documentation?
Michal: We make documentation as we go.
Stephen: Will someone else coming in be able to understand how things work by just looking at what is there?

JPRS is also leaving by end of September (if we have a termination agreement with ISC). Regarding stats development, only some tickets in review queue are left.
Stephen: I'll ask Suzanne to sort this out.

Meeting ended at 15:16 UTC.
Last modified 4 years ago Last modified on Sep 17, 2013, 5:09:09 PM