wiki:SprintPlanning20130806

BIND 10 DNS Sprint Planning for sprint ending 2013-08-06

Date: 2013-07-23
Time: 1430 UTC

Attendees
---------

	* Michal
	* Shane
	* Jeremy
	* Mukund
	* Kambe
	* Fujiwara
	* Paul


Past sprint summary (5 minutes)
-------------------------------

Points allocated for past sprint:        37
Number of tickets closed:                 4
Estimated count of closed:                4
Number of tickets left new:               3
Estimated count of new:                  11
Number of tickets assigned/in review:    10
Estimated count of active:               39
Current total open defects: 441
(last sprint: 439)


Past sprint review (10 minutes)
-------------------------------

https://bind10.isc.org/query?group=status&milestone=Sprint-20130723


Past sprint goals (5 minutes)
-----------------------------

	* Shared memory work
	* Michal's resolver experiments


Estimation and tickets discussion (10 minutes)
----------------------------------------------

Wide estimates for:

None

Unestimated tickets:

* #3042 ("Init Shutdown" resulted in error messages in BIND10 logfile)
Got only 1/4 estimates.  See #1736 also.

Shane: We'll investigate what the problem (and give that 3 points)
Michal: Both of these tickets (see above) are missing the actual error that caused BIND10_CONFIGURATOR_PLAN_INTERRUPTED to be printed.
Shane: As far as I know, no error is being reported.

ACTION: Close #1736 as a duplicate of #3042.

* #3060 (DHCP ticket)
DHCP tickets make it into our list because they are filed with
the "DNS" sub-project instead of the "DHCP" sub-project. I'll try to
re-assign them to "DHCP" before generating the estimation spreadsheet
from next time.

* #3044
* #3045
* #3046
These are still open due to a Trac bug and can be ignored.
tomek had same issue a year ago; it resolved itself once the ticket number referenced in it became real :)
ACTION: Maybe edit the database directly. Jeff will create an ops ticket for it.


Goals (15 minutes)
------------------

	* Cleanup of small tickets and defects
	* Shared memory work


Time off and available points (5 minutes)
-----------------------------------------

Holidays?

Shane: IETF next week.
Paul: IETF next week. Also going to be busy working on separate project until then. Don't anticipate working on BIND 10 until very end of this sprint.

On-call this sprint?
Mukund: 5th and 6th August

Current avg. points/day from Burndown page: 3.0
Available points for this sprint: 3.0 * 10 = 30

Let's try 30 points.
Revised to ?? points.


Selected tickets (30 minutes)
-----------------------------

>>>   LIST OF TICKETS FOR NEXT SPRINT      <<<

Previous sprint's tickets (5 minutes):
2988  check and report log4cplus rotation issues                                    defect  logging        2
3000  reproduce mixed log issues                                                    defect  logging        5
3025  Segmentation fault in SegmentObjectHolderTest.grow test                       defect  Unclassified   4
(sub-total: 11; cumulative-total: 11)

Defects (10 minutes):
2843  isc.statistics.counters.py shouldn't have DNS-specific information            defect       statistics                  2
3015  Change type of IntElement to int64_t                                          defect       Inter-module communication  1
3016  Change the type of Auth server statistics counter to uint64_t and use lower   defect       Unclassified                1
2690  use select instead of poll/kqueue in msgq                                     task         msgq                        4
2925  The also_notify port should default to 53                                     defect       xfrout                      1
2935  "the ""checkin"" callback for asiodns server classes should be removed"       defect       b10-auth                    3
2960  Remove logging dependency from asiolink                                       task         build system                2
2876  resolver research consolidation                                                                                        5
(sub-total: 19; cumulative-total: 30)

Goal tickets (10 minutes):
(sub-total: ??; cumulative-total: ??)

Others (5 minutes):
(sub-total: ??; cumulative-total: ??)

>>> END LIST OF TICKETS FOR NEXT SPRINT    <<<


Pool of tickets
---------------

Previous sprint's tickets still left new:

id    summary                                                                       type    component      estimatedhours

Goal tickets:

id    summary                                                                       type  component                   estimatedhours
2750  support DomainTree::delete()                                                  task  data source                 7
2751  "add ""subtract RDATA"" interface to RdataSet"                                task  data source                 5
2752  define and implement ZoneDataUpdater::delete()                                task  data source                 6
2830  meta: tickets for shared memory data source                                   task  Unclassified                meta
2857  memory manager initial exchanges                                              task  shmem manager               5
2858  memory manager update processing                                              task  shmem manager               5
2860  optimize initial load: update memmgr                                          task  shmem manager               4
2863  "handle ""segment_info_update"" message in b10-auth"                          task  b10-auth                    4
2864  xfrin and ddns update                                                         task  xfrin                       3 or 5?
2865  Lettuce tests with memmgr                                                     task  tests                       6
2867  Other cleanups for shared memory support                                      task  Unclassified                11
2912  make in-memory zone data loader a class                                       task  data source                 4
2913  update CacheConfig and ZoneWriter using class version of ZoneDataLoader       task  data source                 5
2914  extend ZoneDataLoader so it can use a journal reader                          task  data source                 5
2915  update CacheConfig to support diff mode                                       task  data source                 5
2918  support config generation ID                                                  task  configuration               5
2919  handle full data source reconfig in memmgr                                    task  shmem manager               6
2920  handle full data source reconfig with shmem support in b10-auth               task  b10-auth                    not estimatable
2921  update ConfigurableClientList to support generation ID                        task  data source                 3
2932  "Receiving notifications, C++ part"                                           task  Inter-module communication  5
3002  extend datasrc::(Configurable)ClientList::find to return data source name     task  data source                 3
3013  "possibly avoid loading ""local"" segments to memmgr"                         task  shmem manager               Unestimatable
3017  add isDirty() to ZoneTableSegment                                             task  data source                 5
3018  extend ConfigurableClientList::getStatus() to indicate if zone table segment  task  data source                 4

Next-Sprint-Proposed:

id    summary                                                                       type         component                   estimatedhours
2706  describe how to run scan-build (clang static analyzer)                        task         documentation               2
2807  xfrin/xfrout should log the name of the TSIG key used                         enhancement  xfrin                       3
2819  "configuration file path relative to a BIND 10 ""home directory"""            enhancement  bind-ctl                    10
2828  include examples in releases                                                  task         build system                2
2840  implement a mitigation function against DNS amplifications attacks            enhancement  b10-auth                    0
2876  Consolidate the resolver multi-core research                                  task         resolver                    5
2939  check for python sqlite3 module                                               defect       build system                2
2944  duplicate log ID in stats                                                     defect       statistics                  1
2961  Updating the python version can break BIND 10                                 enhancement  Boss of BIND                3
3028  Cmdctl print_settings - conflict between behavior and help documentation      defect       Unclassified                2
3049  Fix offset_ptr test in ax_boost_for_bind10.m4 and configure.ac                defect       build system                2
3055  Add Makefile target to create PDF manual for BIND 10                          defect       documentation               2

New Tasks:

id    summary                                                                       type         component                   estimatedhours
3003  datasrc_config_plugin.py crashes due to uncaught exception without datasrc.s  defect       configuration               Unestimatable
3042  """Init Shutdown"" resulted in error messages in BIND10 logfile"              defect       cmd-ctl                     3
3043  User-submitted upstart script (for CentOS 6.4)                                enhancement  Unclassified                1
3058  BIND10-1.1.0 Resolver fails to answer some Queries                            defect       resolver                    13


A.O.B. (10 minutes)
-------------------

ACTION: #3003 - Discuss this on the dev list.
ACTION: #3042 - Move to Next-Sprint-Proposed.
ACTION: #3043 - clear milestone, and get this into a wiki page
ACTION: #3058 - Create a ticket to disable the resolver from being built by  default. Move #3058 into the backlog with some comments.

We will not clear "Next-Sprint-Proposed" after this sprint planning meeting.

-----

Release branching delayed until shared memory ready?

Jeremy: Do we need to wait until shared memory is ready before we branch for a new release?
Mukund: We may want to make an interim release as master has defect fixes, and shared memory work can take some more time to complete.
Shane: I don't see a pressing need to make a new release until our main feature work is complete.

Kambe: I'd like to know until when we should continue to work on statistics tickets.
Shane: I'll reply to this email.

Shane: I'd like to cancel our team call next week.

Meeting ended at 1530 UTC.
Last modified 4 years ago Last modified on Jul 23, 2013, 3:48:29 PM