BIND 10 has a 5 Year Plan, with a major milestone for each year:
- Year 1 builds the architecture and framework for BIND 10, and implements an authoritative-only DNS server based in those. See Year1Deliverable.
- Year 2 extends the authoritative-only server, and adds a recursive, caching, validating DNS resolver.
- Year 3 results in a production-ready DNS server.
- Year 4 creates a "drop-in replacement" for BIND 9. BIND 9 administrators can install BIND 10 over their existing installations without modification.
- Year 5 is where we extend BIND 10 into new areas, such as clustering, and other areas where there is no existing DNS technology.