|DOWNLOAD||User's Guide||Developer's Guide||Mailing lists||Problems||Roadmap|
|stable / devel||stable / devel||devel||Users / Developers||Known Issues / Defects|| |
KEA DHCP Server
KEA is a new open source DHCPv4/DHCPv6 server being developed by Internet Systems Consortium. The objective of this project is to provide a very high-performance, extensible DHCP server engine for use by enterprises and service providers, either as is or with extensions and modifications.
DHCP Standardization efforts: The lead developer on KEA is co-chair of the Dynamic Host Configuration working group in the IETF. We are committed to providing a standards-compliant implementation and are closely tracking developments in this working group and evaluating them for inclusion in KEA.
2015-12-29: Kea 1.0.0 released!
Kea 1.0.0, our first production version, is released! Adding features like leases expiration, client classification and storing host reservation in MySQL! For detailed information please check Release Notes.
Kea 1.0.0 version is distributed under new license: MPL2.0. See the blog posting where you find new license and reasons why ISC decided to change.
The following major features are working:
- Fully functional DHCPv4, DHCPv6 and Dynamic DNS servers
- OpenSSL support
- IPv6 prefix delegation
- Host reservations and PXE boot
- Leases and stored in CSV file, MySQL or Postgres
- host reservations can be stored in the JSON configuration file or MySQL (DHCPv4)
- Applications API is available and documented
- Linux, BSD and Mac OS X operating systems support
- On-line configuration. It is possible to update the configuration file and tell the servers to reload configuration without restarting the system.
- Control channel
Known Issues List - known issues for current release.
To Do List - running list of items to be done in the future
Kea is a high performance server. It is able to handle over 1000 leases/sec (that is 4000 packets/sec) with a MySQL backend. We also have a custom memfile backend that can provision 7500 leases/sec. To assess server performance, ISC has developed perfdhcp, a tool that is able to simulate thousands of clients and assess server responses.
See Install page for details, including packages list and installation from sources.
We are looking for a small group (up to 6 total) of key collaborators at this point. Contact us via the Kea mailing list if you think you might be interested in working on Kea and sharing that work with the community. The primary things we need are:
- Test coverage in different environments, with a variety of clients
- Applications based on the Kea API, both to validate the API and to demonstrate the potential for DHCP applications.
- ISC Forge - A Python/Lettuce/Scapy DHCP validation environment under development by students of Gdansk University of Technology.
- DHCPv4-over-DHCPv6 - A Tsinghua University team are developing support for draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-over-dhcpv4 in Kea. See ticket #3357.
How to participate in this project
1) Subscribe to the Kea developers mailing list.
3) Download and build a KEA instance. For the latest KEA code, rather than downloading from the main ISC site, please use our public GIT repository.
4) Give us feedback via the mailing list or submit a bug (sub-project=dhcp). See below for information about the known issues.
5) A description of the workflow can be found here Kea Git Workflow
- User Guide (Stable) (development snapshot) (see sections 16,17,18 and 19 in the stable version, all sections in development snapshot).
- Manual Pages
- Developer's Guide: (development snapshot)
- Intallation and system specific notes for building Kea
- Kea coding guidelines
- Known Issues - This is a list of known issues with the current and previous releases
- Outstanding tasks - this is a list of tasks that we are planning to do. Sometimes the difference between a bug and a missing feature is thin.
- Submit new bug - setting the milestone as Kea-proposed is appreciated.
- Known System Issues - list of all detected issues related to specific system configuration.
- Our milestones - list of all milestones. KeaX.Y milestones contain the tickets we're planning to do in specific releases. Usually only the current milestone is up to date. Future milestones tend to fluctuate a bit.
See Designs page.
- Test Plan
- build-bot - Kea is being built and unit-tests are being run on great variety of platforms.
- ISC is using Jenkins and ISC Forge system/conformance tests to validate Kea.
- Reports of manual and automated tests of Kea components: TestingKeaComponents
Kea and BIND10
Kea was developed as an application within the framework of the BIND10 project. In 2014, ISC decided to discontinue active development on BIND10 and continue development of Kea as a standalone DHCP server. As a result, the BIND10 components were be removed from Kea to simplify long-term maintenance and reduce the footprint of Kea.